Saturday, March 29, 2014

John's Gouache for Painter Coming Soon!

Click image to view larger
I've been working on a new set of brushes for Painter that emulate the traditional medium of gouache in concert with a photographic source. One of the hallmarks of traditional gouache is the use of a limited set of opaque colors to delineate an image.

A unique property of my gouache brushes is that the initially sampled source color is used for the entire painted stroke. This technique limits the number of colors used in the painting.

Painter's other cloning brushes do not behave in this manner. Rather, they bring multiple colors into the stroke, which results in too much complexity for a believable gouache rendering.

John's Gouache can also be used as expressive paint-from-scratch brushes. A color set created from a popular traditional gouache color range will be included with the brushes. A set of video tutorials will accompany the brushes.

The above image was painted with John's Gouache from an iPhone photo I took of a friend's construction project (below).

Click image to view larger

John's Gouache for Painter should be available in the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Very interested in this! Sure hope I don't miss the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I apologize for this random question but I am anxious to get your general feedback on photo painting. I am new to this world. I enjoy photography but I am looking for something more. I love what I have seen of your work and what I have briefly learned on Lynda.com. I am a beginner and certainly not an accomplished artist. I have seen tutorials on Photoshop and Painter. Which would you recommend for a beginner? Not necessarily the easiest but the best for the long haul. I am familiar and fairly comfortable with Photoshop Elements, Nik Software, Topaz software and JixiPix. Also, can you give a recommendation on a tablet and pen? Again, I am not a professional but I don't want to invest in something and then regret not having an important feature in six months.

    I hope this makes it to you. I feel like you have already opened my eyes to a course of creativity that will bless my life. I love your teaching methods. I know this I am embarking on something that will take lots of effort. That's why I want to start on the right course with the proper software and hardware.

    Thanks so much.
    Marty Oakeson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty:

      Painter is much more "brush heavy" compared to PS. OTOH, PS is far more adept at multi-layer photo-compositing and image correction. If you already have PS Elements, you may want to consider getting Painter and using Elements for tonal/color corrections. You can use the PSD file format to move between the apps.

      A pressure-sensitive pen and tablet are essential for getting the maximum painting experience out of both Painter and PS. For a bare-bones budget, I'd recommend the Wacom Intuos "Pen" model. This is a great starter tablet for minimum investment. The one thing the Pen model lacks is an advanced stylus (no barrel rotation to tilt option).

      For advanced control, I recommend the Wacom Intuos "Pro". This tablet offers a wireless connection, as well as compatibility with the optional Art Pen, which supports both tilt and barrel rotation.

      I emphasize the Art Pen because to get the most expression from your hand input, you want to the input device —in this case, the pen stylus— to sense as much of the user's hand motion as possible. The Art Pen does this.

      If you are on a budget but want the maximum expressive input, you can go with the small Intuos Pro; otherwise, I'd recommend the Medium.

      I hope this helps.

      Enjoy the Journey!

      -john

      Delete